We continue to welcome expressions of interest from those considering becoming an Identiplant Tutor.
Tutors receive a fee for each student they take on for the course, full directions on course delivery and mentorship from the experienced tutor team.
There are no formal qualifications for becoming a Tutor but the following are necessary:
- Good botanical knowledge of British flora and experience in botanical recording locally (able to handle the BSBI recording card comfortably, able to conduct a full NVC survey, confident using keys such as those in Stace AND have a FISC level 4 or above, or be at an equivalent level). Students are allocated on a regional basis so local botanical knowledge is essential but tutors do not have to be national experts.
- Some teaching, mentoring or coaching experience and a desire to help keen beginners to become competent field botanists. Sympathy towards the difficulties of beginners and an encouraging and supportive attitude.
- Have the ability to communicate clearly in writing.
- Be well-organised and respond promptly to emails.
- Reliable internet connection and email system and reasonable computer literacy (familiarity with Word and Excel and downloading material).
- Available throughout the growing season (Feb to Oct) to support students. The role is not suitable for anyone who will be away, without access to the internet, or too busy, for long periods during the summer. Provided that the students are informed, absences of a week or two are not a problem.
To express an interest, please fill in this short form.
If you would like to find out more, we will be hosting an online prospective Identiplant Tutor event on 30 October 7pm where we aim to answer all your questions.
Sign up now at Growing Identiplant across Britain to find out more! You can also email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.