The BSBI website is a key resource for all botanists, beginner to advanced, professional or amateur.
If you are looking to develop your ID skills ahead of taking on a course like Identiplant, why not view the BSBI Get Started page, which details equipment, social media resources, botanical keys and other online help for starting out in botany.
FSC Publications are another useful resource, including their fold-out charts and Aidgap guides.
- Beentje, Henk (2016) The Kew Plant Glossary: an illustrated dictionary of plant terms - 2nd edition. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Cope, T. & Gray, A. (2009) Grasses of the British Isles. BSBI Handbook No.13 (also available as an eBook from the BSBI website)
- Hickey, M. & King, C. (1997) Common Families of Flowering Plants. Cambridge University Press.
- Hubbard, C.E. (1954 & later editions) Grasses.
- Poland, J. & Clement, E. (2009, 2nd edition 2019) The Vegetative Key to the British Flora: A New Approach to Plant Identification. BSBI.
- Poland, J. (2018) The Field key to Winter Twigs. BSBI.
- Rose, F. (1989) Colour Identification Guide to the Grasses, Sedges, Rushes & Ferns of the British Isles and north-western Europe.
- Stace , C.A. (2022) Concise Flora of the British Isles.
- Streeter, D. et al (2016) Collins Wild Flower Guide: The Most Complete Guide to the Wild Flowers of Britain and Ireland.
The BSBI also produce Handbooks on various difficult groups. See the full list on the BSBI website.